On this day 70 years ago, Soviet troops liberated the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camps in present-day Poland. The scale of death and human destruction they found there was not lost to these men, even though they had been fighting on the most violent front of the most violent war in the history of mankind for 3 years.
Today we remember and hope it may never happens again.
Some sources of testimonials from survivors and related articles:
- Paris Match
- International Business Times
- Youtube Videos: here, here, here, here and here (save yourself the trouble of reading the bigoted comments, or better, read them to realise the ignorance that still remains…)
- Remember the criminals so that they do become not mere abstractions and stereotypes.
- Remember the righteous among the nations whose humanity and compassion came to the rescue of those few who managed to survive.
- The account of a liberator.
I also personally recommend the following: